followed by trials until March 1936.
- May 1936:
training in the North Atlantic.
operations in the Baltic Sea.
- Oct 1936:
- Dec 1936:
- May 1937:
- Aug 1937:
to Sweden and Norway.
in the western and middle Baltic Sea.
- Oct 1939:
the Poland Campaign, the Nürnberg transfers to the
North Sea to the B.d.A. Several mine laying operations in the
North Sea and along the British coast.
covering a mine laying operation of five DDs, the British
submarine Salmon torpedoes the CLs Nürnberg
and Leipzig . Both ships return to Germany.
1939 - May 1940:
Scharnhorst , Gneisenau and Admiral
Hipper at Drontheim. Scharnhorst and Gneisenau
are sent home at July 20th, but the Gneisenau returns
after a torpedo hit.
with four DDs, the Nürnberg escorts the damaged Gneisneau
back to Kiel.
1940 - Nov 1942:
in home waters.
to Norway again.
the battle group consisting of Admiral Hipper , Lützow
and Köln in the Altafjord and Tirpitz in Drontheim.
The Nürnberg is stationed in Narvik.
the Admiral Hipper and Köln were sent back
to Germany, the Tirpitz , Lützow and Nürnberg
are joined by the BC Scharnhorst .
her voyage back to Germany, the Nürnberg is attacked
by two British MTB. Used in the Baltic Sea.
in the Skagerak while laying the "Titus"-minefield.
in Copenhagen harbor, the Nürnberg defends itself
with Flak guns against attacking Danish partisans. The ship
surrenders in Copenhagen at the end of the war.
by the British CA Devonshire and CL Dido ,
the Prinz Eugen and Nürnberg sail to
cruiser Nürnberg entered on the Soviet navy records
and was assigned to the Baltic fleet.
in in Wilhelmshaven, German crew under command of KzS Helmut
Gressler had turned over to the Soviet commission and
crew headed by Vice-Admiral Rall
cruiser, accompanied by other five ex-German ships (namely
destroyer Erich Steinbrink , torpedo boats T33
and T107 , dispatch vessel Blitz and target
ship Hessen ) sailed for Libau.
at Libau. German commander and the remaining German personnel
were to be landed there. The ship, according to the memories
of the sailors having served aboard her, was remarkable for
high quality of construction, quite a good dwelling conditions
and, despite some battle damages, was in a good technical
conditions. Renamed to Admiral Makarov.
as flagship of the 8th (Northern Baltic) fleet (based at
Tallinn). The cruiser's entry allowed to replace the only
cruiser of the 8th fleet (Kirov ), which hit an
German magnetic mine on 17.10.1945 and was badly damaged,
being put out of action for a long time. During 1949-1950 the
ship was partly modernized and repaired in the
Kronshtadt by the project of the Central designers' office
No.17. During the modernization, the ship war rearmed with
Soviet AAguns, including 20 x 3,7 cm guns. At this time,
the participated in the shooting the film
breakdown of the main boilers, ship was re-classified a
training cruiser and employed for the training duties (based
ship was disarmed and stricken from the Navy records.
command of the Admiral Makarov was disbanded and ship
had been broken up at the Coaling harbor (Leningrad) until
February, 1961. By the memories of the old workers from
Kronshtadt, which took a part in scrapping the ship, her
hull became in amazingly good condition, the "outer
wallgang" didn't suffer from the corrosion. After repairs
at the shipbuilding facilities in Eastern Germany the cruiser
might continue her service for some years more. However, there
are two decisive factors that affected on the ship's fate:
first, Soviet governments course for "wiping out the
cruisers as a class" of the fighting ships which don't
conform to the modern conditions of the armed fight; second,
categorical requests from Moscow to clear the fleet from the
captured ships as not conforming with the existing domestic
requests for the constructive vitality (it could be probably
explained by the tragedy of the ex-Italian battleship Novorossijsk
which sank in Sevastopol in late 1955).